US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Thursday imposing sanctions on the International Criminal Court (ICC), a senior US official said, without giving details of its content.
Earlier, a White House official said the executive order would impose financial and visa-related sanctions on individuals and their families who cooperate with ICC investigations against US citizens or allies.
The move comes after US Senate Democrats last week blocked a Republican-led effort to punish the ICC for two arrest warrants issued against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is currently visiting Washington, and his former Zionist defence minister, Yoav Galant, over the occupation’s genocide in Gaza.
Sources said last month that the court had taken steps to protect its staff from possible US sanctions, paying three months’ salaries in advance and preparing for financial constraints that could hamper its work.