White House announces extension of ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel until 18 February

White House announces extension of ceasefire between Lebanon and Israel until 18 February

The White House announced on Sunday evening the extension of the ceasefire agreement between Lebanon and Israel until 18 February.

The White House said in a statement that Lebanon, Israel and America will begin negotiations on the return of Lebanese prisoners captured by Israel after 7 October 2023. In Beirut, caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati announced that the Lebanese government confirmed the continuation of the ceasefire agreement with Israel until 18 February.

Earlier in the day, the Lebanese presidency denied that Israel had informed it that IDF forces would remain at five border crossings for 15 days. The presidency’s media office said that President Joseph Aoun was continuing his internal and external contacts to finalise the Israeli withdrawal from the occupied villages.